There are many things with which WordPress it will definitely be useful for you. The platform has so many options that save time, effort and facilitate the so-called complex programming, and make it easy and enjoyable, even fun. Of course, like anything, it has its weaknesses, but it is not a one-size-fits-all product for every project. The use of WordPress site it has its good reasons, but there are also many right factors why you should avoid it and make your site from scratch without an off-the-shelf CMS product.
This is a quick list of pros, cons, and a little more information based on experience using WordPress for a website.
1. Price of a wordpress site – free
- If you have a tight budget, you can host your site for free at wordpress.com
- You don't need to spend thousands of BGN for a site written on your own CMS
- You can't argue with free
2. Design: Plenty of themes
- Countless different free templates (themes).
- Mobile-friendly themes
- You don't need to write code
- Theme installs in less than a minute
- Themes are good for starter projects
- If you choose a theme with too many features you don't use, you'll end up with a hellishly slow site.
- In the absence of functionality, you will need a developer to customize the theme according to your needs.
3. Functionality at one wordpress Site: Countless Plugins (Addons)
- You can optimize your site with a few clicks
- Add multilingualism
- World-class SEO optimization
- Easy addition of new functionalities
- With many plugins, your site can slow down
- Downloading add-ons that are not official can break your site
- When updating the WordPress, an add-on may stop working properly
4. Updates: Automatic
- During the update, problematic parts with security are fixed
- It gets better with every update WordPress
- Full LOG of all changes in each version
- An update may break a thread
- It might break some plugin
- Conclusion: Before updating, check what the changes are (Before pressing the update button, you can see the information in detail).
5. The Platform: Based on PHP and MySQL
- It allows experienced developers to customize the entire site
- Changes can be made where and when needed as WordPress is an open source system.
- It is not at all easy to customize by non-programmers or people who only know HTML
- WordPress it has its own syntax and functionality, and even an experienced PHP programmer will need some time to learn the specifics
The making WordPress site is easy, fast and convenient, especially if you're starting with an existing theme. However, if you want to customize the design and functionality well, you'll need serious web development skills or hire an experienced developer.
It should be mentioned that WordPress performs really well, but only with serious and sustained effort. It's important to have realistic expectations. If you need a real CMS, with the ability to highly customize and edit each page, then it is better to use the services of an experienced programmer who will write your site from scratch and according to the needs of the project.
You can have a free consultation with us by clicking the button below!